OSMO UV-Protection-Oil Tints 427, Douglas Fir, Satin, with Film Protection, 2.5L
NATURAL OIL-BASED UV PROTECTIVE TINTED FINISH
- Very water & dirt resistant
- Reduces seasonal wood swelling and shrinkage
- Resists growth of algae, mildew & fungus
- Microporous, breathable finish which doe not crack, peel, flake or blister
- No sanding necessary for future applications
Wood surface must be clean, dry and frost-free (moisture content max. 20%). Osmo UV-Protection-Oil Tints is ready to use. Do not thin. Stir well using a flat stirring stick or spatula before use.
If possible, and if the wood is absorbent, please apply first coat to all sides before installation. Fresh wood containing natural wood ingredients /extractives (eg: Cedar, Teak, Mahogany or Iroko) are often less absorbent and need to weather off first before applying the product. Please refer to website ‘Suitability’ section for more details.
Weathering helps ingredient rich wood become more absorbent and the wood finish adheres optimally. Weathering is also required if the existing surface has been freshly sanded or renovated.
For renovation works, clean old microporous stains thoroughly – if necessary sand lightly. Old paints and lacquers must be completely removed. As a general rule, wear a dust mask during sanding works. Do not sand smooth surfaces finer than grit P120.
The finished surface is influenced by several factors, including the condition of the wood. Therefore, a trial application is always required, especially for unfamiliar surfaces.
- With an Osmo Flat Brush or Micro-Fibre Roller, apply thinly along the wood grain and spread well.
- Allow to dry for approximately 12 hours under good ventilation.
- Apply second coat.
- When recoating colour treated surfaces, or for renovation works, one coat applied to the clean and dry surface is usually sufficient.
- Depending on the degree of weathering, apply one coat of Osmo UV-Protection-Oil Tints to the cleaned and intact finish after approx. 3-4 years.
- For areas exposed to strong weathering, such as horizontals, weatherboard, post caps or window sills, please expect significantly shorter renovation intervals.
- Vertical elements mounted onto horizontal wood should have at least a 15 degree angle. Sharp edges must be rounded (radius > 2 mm).
- If the greying process has already begun, de-grey the surface and refinish with 2 coats of Osmo UV-Protection-Oil Tints.
- To achieve the UV protection factor 12, it is necessary to apply 2 coats of Osmo UV-Protection-Oil Tints. With only one coat on untreated wood, the life of the coating is significantly shorter.
- Osmo UV-Protection-Oil Tints is furnished with biocides and therefore it is only to be used in outdoor areas. The added active ingredients delay or minimise the risk of algae and fungal attack. For effective protection, two coats are to be carried out. In accordance with the latest technical research, permanent protection against algae and fungal attack cannot be provided.
- Using power washers will severely decrease the coverage of the finish and general or multi-purpose cleaners will increase the frequency of maintenance and recoating.